Saturday, February 4, 2012

Readings Week #2

In the article "Experts Weigh Pros and Cons of Social Media," I have to say that I agree with the majority of what the experts have to say about social media and journalism. I certainly agree that social media allows journalist to more easily promote content to mass amounts of people in mere minutes and therefore allows readers to receive news in real time.  I also agree that social media is not the only place that people should go for their news information.  It can be used as a jumping off point, but often you do not get all of the story or the true story when reading it on social media.  I know that if I read any news on a social media site, like Facebook, I almost always go to a reputable news website or the website for my local paper to double check the facts to make sure I am getting the whole story and not just the fragments that are being relayed through Facebook status updates.

The "New Media, Old Media" article pointed out some interesting things, but the one I found most interesting is the extremely short attention span in social media.  I could believe that most stories on blogs are old news after 3 days, but the fact that over 50% of stories are forgotten after just 24 hours is a bit shocking.  I guess it just goes to show you that people are being thrown so much information over the course of the day on social media that some just passes them by. 

As I was reading the third article "Library 2.0: revolution or evolution," I began to think about which category it fell into.  As revolutionary some people may think Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 features are, I honestly think it is all part of the natural progression.  As the times change, libraries have adapted to fit with those changes, from card catalogs to online catalogs, everything is moving online and so are library features.  Therefore it would only make sense for Library 2.0 and social media to be the next natural step.  It is just another part of the necessary evolution of libraries... you must adapt to survive or become obsolete and die.

1 comment:

  1. I love your last line. Libraries for years have been considered constant, never-ceasing institutions. However, libraries now need to differentiate themselves in an ever-competitive market. As library students, we all take courses in library management, which applies business management principles to libraries.

    ReplyDelete