Thursday, February 23, 2012

Going Mobile

So this weeks two readings on the Mobile Web was quite interesting.  I never really considered all the intricacies that go into creating mobile websites.  Although I mainly access the internet from my laptop, I do have a smart phone and a Nook, which from both I can access the internet.  Since the Nook is a larger device I don't have many problems viewing websites on it, however I have noticed that there are significant differences between regular websites and websites created specifically for the mobile device.  Regular websites usually involve lots of scrolling and zooming and occasionally there is a flash feature that won't load or pop up ads that cause my phone and Nook to freak out.  Mobile websites are much easier to use as they are made for a smaller screen (so there is less zooming and scrolling) and they have the most pertinent information that you are looking for.  Although there have been times where I need the regular website instead of the mobile one and there is usually an option to switch back.

In terms of mobile websites for libraries, this seems like an excellent idea.  The idea of patrons being able to access the OPAC, their online account, basic library information, and put holds on items sounds just perfect.  However I have a feeling that this is something that might not occur everywhere in the immediate future.  I know at my library we are understaffed and do not necessarily have the time or resources to put this together, although having a mobile app instead of a mobile website is something OSL could do.... hmmm food for thought.  But I digress.... So if we are understaffed and overworked I have to assume other libraries across the country are as well and may not have the time to put in so much work.  But mobile apps for the online catalog created by consortiums for the use of their member libraries could be an alternate option to individual mobile websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment