Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Facebook: My Favorite Method of Procrastination

Well I read through the articles on Facebook this week and I felt like a lot of it was similar to things I had read through in other classes.  Some interesting points I did find:

  • From the article "Academic Libraries, Facebook and MySpace, and Student Outreach: Student Opinion"... I had to laugh at the section describing status updates with the example of "Michael is delving into the catalog"
  • Apparently younger generations are not worried about privacy on the internet.  As someone who is from one of those younger generations I can certainly say that I am concerned about privacy on the social networking sites that I use and on the internet in general.  Despite Facebook's constantly changing privacy features, I keep my page as private as possible and do not friend anyone I don't know.  Cause seriously, the last thing I need is to have my identity stolen or to have someone break into my house because they saw I was on vacation.
  • The average Facebook user has 229 friends.  I feel that this number is pretty accurate and when I first saw it I thought that's about how many I have, but apparently I was wrong.  According to my page I have 338 friends.  Who are all these people?? The fact that I am friends with that many people and I'm pretty sure I do not talk to half of them gets me seriously thinking about defriending some of them.... so hope that you make the cut and may the odds be ever in your favor!
  • Facebook users tend to be more trusting.  I do agree with this on some levels, but I feel like this really depends on the person.  The study does say that people that use Facebook multiple times a day are the more trusting ones is interesting.  I know I go on Facebook way more times a day than I should (mainly because I am a horrible procrastinator and am avoiding schoolwork), but I am definitely not a trusting person until I know someone well enough, so for me that fact is not so accurate.
  • Why are people still discussing Myspace??? Do people still use it??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

1 comment:

  1. When I took LSC 508, I read an article about MySpace versus Facebook usage. What I remember is that, at the time of the article's publication, MySpace was preferred by minorities and members of the lower class as well as people who were into music. Facebook, since it started off at Harvard, has members who are more educated and generally better off economically than MySpace.

    ReplyDelete