Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Catalogs, Catalogs, Catalogs...

When I saw that this week's topic was catalogs, I thought finally it was a chance to express my grievances with online catalogs.  From being both a library patron and library staff member I know that the online catalog is a major asset to many library functions.  Most days I think I would be lost without it.  However, the more I use it the more issues I have with it and the more flaws I find in it.  Quite honestly I feel that OSL needs to do a major overhaul of the online catalog.  As I was reading through the articles, many of the things the authors mentioned about problems with older OPACs are many of the same issues I have with OSL's online catalog.  Some of the major ones I have come across are no option for Boolean searching, no spell checking, required to search author last name first, no option to browse, inability to use multiple filters, etc.  Overall the main problem is the lack of forgiveness of mistakes.  I think OSL tried to offer a more modern option by offering a version of the catalog through encore, but quite honestly it is even worse.  I have tried to search for books several times in encore and every single time the book I was searching for did not show up, however when I used the classic catalog it was one of the first options.  (So Aggravating!!!)
I think in a world of Google and Amazon searching, OSL needs to update their OPAC to allow it to be searchable in the way that patrons are used to searching outside of the library website.  Since we are in the business to serve our patrons in the best way possible, it would make sense to design a user friendly online catalog.  It seems like OSL might need to read up on some literature on next-gen catalogs and start working on implementing these things.  Although the literature, for me, was a bit technical at times, the message is clear about what is out and what is in and the OSL catalog features almost everything that is considered an issue/problem with older catalogs and almost none of the features of next-gen catalogs.  Although I haven't heard any word, I truly hope that the folks down at the OSL offices are working to create a next-gen catalog that is user friendly, but also librarian friendly and incorporates forgiving features. One can only hope... 

2 comments:

  1. I for one like some aspects of the Encore catalog better that the old catalog. I like having the image of what the book looks like and I have noticed that I can usually find what I am looking for no matter how I type in an author's name (first followed by last or vice versa). That is strange that you can find a title using the old catalog but not the Encore one.

    I agree that an overhaul needs to be done. I feel that those in charge of the catalog were looking for a quick fix solution, which is why they turned to Encore. I'm sure this is for economic reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point that libraries should align their search engines to the skills and comfort levels of the patrons - it's the only way that patrons will use the search engine. Look at me, I can't really figure out how to use StumbleUpon, so I'm not that big into it. So rather than figure it out, I will find my information elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete